An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sweater Re-fashion

I've been wanting to try something like this for a very long time. Combining knitting with an existing sweater. I started out with a well-worn, pale lavender, pullover wool sweater. First I cut the sweater up the front, not in the center, but a bit to one side for an asymmetrical look. Next I used some of my early, lumpy, handspun yarn; spun chunky and uneven from a lovely handpainted BFL roving. It didn't take a whole lot of yarn to knit two narrow bands for the fronts, two chunky cuffs, and a ribbed neck. Using the zig-zag stitch on my trusty Kenmore, I sewed all the hand-knit pieces into place. I found these tasty wooden buttons in my button box. I cut narrow strips of cotton t-shirt fabric for the button loops and sewed those on. I'm very happy with how it turned out! I like the asymmetrical look. However, when the front is unbuttoned, the flap hangs down in a strange-looking way. Not sure how to do it differently. Perhaps with a rounded neckline instead of a v-neck? I will definitely be exploring more along these lines.

2 comments:

  1. This awesome has awesomeness. Or put another way: BRILLIANT! I love this (surfed over from wardrobe refashion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this. Somehow I didn't absorb this post the last time I visited your blog. What a great idea, and yes it turned out awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!